News and Events

Salmonella Compensation & How To Claim For Food Poisoning

  • Posted

Tilly Bailey & Irvine has become aware of a number of people who have recently tested positive for Salmonella poisoning after eating at a local Teesside pub.

In total, 74 people suffered bouts of vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhoea; after eating at a pub in Thornaby; 44 of which tested positive for Salmonella.

The pub reportedly carried out a series of control measures, which had been requested by Public Health England (PHE) before the outbreak occurred.

PHE had requested the measures to be set in place after ten people had reportedly suffered from food poisoning after eating at the pub.

A number of the customers who have been affected are considering taking legal action.

Helen explains: “The Consumer Protection Act 1987 introduced strict liability for defective products which includes the provision of food, as long as the cause of the illness can be linked to the food.

“A claim can be pursued under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 and/or negligence can be alleged.”

As an experienced solicitor, Helen deals with complex Personal Injury, Industrial Disease and Clinical Negligence work.

If you think you may have Salmonella or any other type of food poisoning you should contact your Doctor immediately.

Salmonella lives in the gut of farm animals and can affect poultry and meat. Contamination of food can occur when raw food is stored with cooked food.

It is impossible to tell if something is infected with Salmonella and it can spread from person to person by: poor hygiene, failing to wash your hands after using the toilet and after handling contaminated food.

If you have been affected by Salmonella poisoning or any other form of negligence and would like to speak to a solicitor at any of our North East offices please get in touch.

your injury matters