We act for farmers, land owners, investors and property develops providing advice on in-hand farming and forestry, agricultural tenancies, development opportunities, leisure, tourism, mineral extraction and sporting rights.
Our agricultural team provide and deliver specialist advice and a gateway to the other services the firm can offer. Two of the team are farmers themselves and as such have a detailed knowledge and understanding of the farming industry as well as first hand experience of he issues facing farmers today.
There are increasing demands on farmers and landowners from customers, supply chains and governments at a local, national and European level; making it an area where innovative solutions are essential for the survival of the business.
We respect the unique mix of tradition, environmental issues, contractual pressures and technological innovation that those working in the agriculture sector balance each day.
Our experienced team can help with:
- Sale and purchase of land and farms as well as advising on the transfer of single farm payments and agri-environmental schemes.
- Agricultural tenancies, tenancy succession and tenancy disputes.
- Disposal of land for residential development by way of option, conditional contract and promotion agreements.
- Strategic development advice
- Mineral extraction and exploitation of mineral rights.
- The sale and purchase of mineral rights
- The sale and purchase of sporting rights.
- Renewable energy schemes including wind farm, solar farms and bio-gas schemes
- Diversification projects
- Wills and succession planning.
- Taxation advice with an emphasis on inheritance tax and agricultural property relief.
- Easements - water, gas, electricity and telephone.
- Share and contract farming agreements.
- Mergers, de-mergers and re-constructions of agricultural businesses.
- Employment advice.
- Defending prosecutions by the Health and Safety Executive and the Environmental Agency.
- Partnerships and partnership disputes.
The Legal 500 (2017) comments: Tilly Bailey & Irvine counts farmers, landowners, investors and developers among its clients, for which it handles farming and forestry issues, agricultural tenancies, developments, mineral extraction and sporting rights matters. Helen Dexter (who specialises in estate planning and trust matters) leads the group, which includes Andrew Beattie and both specialise in agricultural property. Recent highlights for Beattie include advising on the acquisition of South Sharpley Farm, handling the disposal of agricultural land and farm buildings, and assisting multiple national banks with agricultural funding matters. The team also acts on tenancy issues, renewable energy schemes and tax matters.