Burns and Scalds Claims

Burns and scalds can cause devastating scarring and long-term physical and psychological distress.  If you have suffered from a burn or scald injury at work, you may be entitled to claim compensation.  To do so, you need to prove your employer’s negligent acts, or omissions caused you to suffer the burn or scald.

Personal Injury Calculator

Estimate what your No Win No Fee claim could be
Use our Personal Injury Calculator

Get Your Estimate

Our personal injury solicitors can advise and represent you in a compensation claim if you have suffered from a workplace burn or scald.

To find out more, please contact us on 0333 444 4422 or fill in our contact form.

At Tilly Bailey & Irvine, our personal injury solicitors are part of a full-service, award-winning law firm.  Our personal injury team is led by John Hall. As well as having years of experience running personal injury claims, John is a panel member of AvMA and a Senior Litigator with the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.

John and his team are dedicated to providing quality, compassionate, knowledgeable service to all our clients.  Many victims of burns and/or scalds are dealing with long-term pain and having to overcome the mental side-effects of suffering from a burn, such as depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).  By instructing us, you can be confident that your compensation claim will be managed correctly, allowing you to concentrate on your recovery.

Who is responsible for burns at work?

Your employer has a duty of care to keep you safe from accidents in the workplace.  This includes taking every precaution necessary to eliminate the threat of a burn or scald injury.

If the job you are required to do carries a risk of a burn or scald occurring, your employer should carry out detailed, ongoing risk assessments and take every reasonable measure to eliminate the risk.  If the risk of a burn or scald occurring cannot be eliminated completely, employees should be provided with personal protective equipment and appropriate health and safety training.

Your employer will hold insurance to pay out for any burn or scald compensation claims.  Even if you still work for your employer, you can make a claim.  We will deal with all the correspondence on your behalf so you can maintain a professional relationship with the organisation that employs you.

Common causes of burns and scalds

Burns are normally associated with hot surfaces or items which carry heat such as furnaces or hot ovens.

However, burns can also be caused by;

  • Cold
  • Electricity
  • Chemicals
  • Radiation
  • Sunlight
  • Friction

Scalds are caused by wet heat such as hot liquids, (for example water and oil) and steam.

Burns and scalds are extremely painful injuries.  A small burn or scald can cause serious, long-term pain and suffering.

Large burns and scalds can cause other injuries to the affected area, including;

  • nerve damage
  • tendon damage
  • ligament damage
  • muscle damage
  • loss of sight

Burns can also cause death.  The risk of death is increased if the victim is over 60 years, suffers burns to more than 40% of their body and has additional inhalation injuries[1].

The long-term effects of burns and scalds can also cause a large amount of pain, loss of mobility and psychological distress.  Amputation may be required on limbs that have been severely burned or scalded.  Painful skin-graft and cosmetic surgery may be required.

Recovery and rehabilitation from serious burns and scalds can take many years.

Making a claim for a work-related injury

If you have received an injury at work, taking the following steps will increase your chances of making a successful compensation claim.

  1. Report the incident to your employer as soon as you can.  If you are too ill to do this, have a friend, family member or work colleague do it for you.
  2. Make sure the incident is recorded correctly.  Serious burns or scalds which cover 10% or more of the body and/or cause significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system or other vital organs must be reported in compliance with the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases, and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)
  3. Take the names and addresses of any witness to the accident and write down all the details of the event you remember.
  4. Contact our experienced personal injury solicitors who can advise you on the next steps required to making a successful claim for burn and/scald injury compensation.

Compensation for burn injuries

If you have received a burn or scald at work, contact our team as soon as you are able.  If you are too ill, have a family member or friend contact John and his team on your behalf.  We will quickly establish whether you have a work injury compensation claim and provide you with all the information and advice you need to move forward.

We will also liaise with your employers’ insurers in relation to an appropriate rehabilitation programme.

 If we take on your case, our legal team will need to prove that your employer breached their duty of care to you and that breach resulted in you receiving a burn or scald.  To do this, we may need to arrange for expert doctors to review your medical files and offer an opinion.  We will also draw on information contained in the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) report and the police report (if there is one). 

You can be confident that when instructing us to manage your burn or scald compensation claim, our solicitors will act in a calm, professional manner; returning your phone calls and emails promptly and always keeping you up-to-date with how your case is progressing.

We offer a no win, no fee arrangement for personal injury claims.  This means that if we are unsuccessful in winning compensation for you, you will not pay us any legal fees.

To find out more about how we can advise you on a burn or scald compensation claim, please call us on 0333 444 4422 to talk to one of our solicitors.



[1] http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199802053380604#t=article

  • Kay Ditcham
      • 01429 405174
      • View profile
  • Mark Ellis
      • 01429 405117
      • View profile
  • John Hall
      • 01429 405115
      • View profile
  • Nathalie Clayton
      • 01429 405122
      • View profile
  • Adrienne Harris
      • 01429 405121
      • View profile