Academy schools can deliver new and exciting environments, lead by the vision, drive and professionalism of all that work at the school. Our education team has first-hand experience in assisting schools through the Academy conversion process ensuring that on conversion the school remains fully compliant, with risks identified, managed and mitigated.
Our aim is to become a trusted member of your support team, with the resources, skills and expertise to help deliver your strategic plans and assist with new projects. We are also there to reassure you on any negative issues that may be having an impact on the running of your school.
- Alison Leith
- Craig Malarkey
- Martin Levinson
- Andrew Beattie
- Associate Solicitor
If you are a head teacher considering the Academy route, our team is happy to meet with you and your governors to give you an insight in to what a conversion involves, what is expected of the school and the likely legal issues you can expect to encounter.
Conversion To Do List
Points to consider and that we can advise on with a timescale of approx 4-5 months:
- Pass resolution and make Application (governing body, trustees, dioceses etc.)
- Consultation (Governing body)
- Land searches (solicitor, local authority)
- Lease/freehold transfer (solicitors, local authority, Trusts if any)
- Commercial transfer agreement (solicitors, local authority)
- Finances (school, local authority)
- Building work (school, local authority, Trusts if any)
- Governance internal and, necessary, external (schools, solicitors, trust)
- Incorporate Academy Trust (solicitors)
- TUPE (existing employer)
- Consultation with stakeholders (governing body)
- Support for another school (governing body)
- Seek Ministerial agreement (DfE)
- IT licences (school)
- Insurances (school)
- HR and Payroll (school)
- Understanding company and charitable law (governing body/staff)
- Business plan – vision, risks, contingencies, branding, communications
Please get in touch to make an appointment. We understand the business of running a school and our team are happy to meet with you out of hours.