Slip & Trip Claims

Picked up an injury tripping over something that shouldn't be there? Tilly Bailey & Irvine's North East Solicitors in Hartlepool, Wynyard, Stockton-on-tees and Barnard Castle have the specialist knowledge and experience to support your claim.

Local councils, employers, and business owners have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to ensure any accidents from slipping and tripping are prevented.  Wet floors, cracked paving, uneven flooring, inadequate lighting, and areas where obstacles or snow and ice should have been removed are all potential causes of an accident, resulting in claims.

NO WIN NO FEE: To find out more, please contact us on 0333 323 2714 or fill in our contact form.

Personal Injury Calculator

Estimate what your No Win No Fee claim could be
Use our Personal Injury Calculator

Get Your Estimate

You may have injured your back, head, knees, ankles, or wrists; whatever the nature of your injury may be, from minor injuries to those which are life changing, we can advise and represent you in a compensation claim.  We have proven expertise in achieving the highest possible payouts for clients who have been injured in a slip or trip accident.

To find out more, please contact us on 0333 444 4422 or fill in our contact form.

At Tilly Bailey & Irvine, we can assist you with making a compensation claim if you have been injured in a slip or a trip.  Our personal injury team is led by John Hall. As well as having years of experience running poisoning claims, John is a panel member of Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA) and a Senior Litigator with the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers.

We are a full service, award-winning law firm, not a claims company.  Therefore, we are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and must abide by their standards and those of the Law Society of England and Wales. 

We are committed to providing quality service, sensitive, confidential client-care and expert legal advice and representation, backed up by a solid investment in technology and research.

Can you claim compensation for a slip or trip or fall?

If you have been injured by a slip, trip or fall, you may be able to claim compensation if another person, organisation or local body’s negligent act or omission caused your accident.

Our personal injury solicitors can quickly establish whether you have a valid compensation claim.  They will examine your medical records and listen carefully to your account of events and those of any witnesses.  It helps if you can provide photographs of the location your slip, trip or fall took place.  In addition, other evidence such as the weather conditions at the time of the accident, and if you tripped over a pothole, a measurement of how deep and wide the crevasse was.

Is there a time limit for making a slip, trip or fall compensation claim?

You’ll need to lodge your claim within three years of the accident, so as soon as you can, call our Personal Injury team.  If you can’t get in to see us because of your injuries, we will come to you, at home or in the hospital.

We’ll move quickly to ensure evidence is gathered promptly so as to give you the best chance of success.  And we’ll liaise closely with the medical personnel taking care of you so we know absolutely everything about your long-term prognosis that could affect the amount of compensation you receive.

Who is responsible for slips and trips in public places?

If your injury occurred through slipping or tripping on a footpath, then the local authority is responsible for maintaining the footpath may be responsible.  This is because under the Highways Act 1980, local bodies have a duty to maintain all footpaths and roads that are accessible to the public.

When it comes to private land, the owner and/or occupier of the property has a duty of care to ensure you do not come to any harm under the Occupiers’ Liability Act 1984.  If you suffer a trip, slip, or fall due to the owner’s negligence in not removing a potential hazard, you may be entitled to compensation.

How do you claim compensation for a slip, trip, or fall?

Our personal injury team has years of experience advising and representing clients who have suffered often serious injuries from a slip, trip, or fall.

As well as offering a high-quality service and exceptional client care, we provide no win, no fee payment arrangements to our personal injury clients.  We will assess whether your claim has a strong chance of success.  If we believe it does, we will offer a no win, no fee arrangement to you.  This means that should we be unsuccessful in obtaining compensation, you will not have to pay any legal fees.

How much compensation can you get for a slip, trip or fall?

The amount of compensation you can receive for a slip, trip or fall will depend on the seriousness of your injury.

There are two types of damages that may be claimed for injuries resulting from a slip, trip, or fall:

  1. General damages – these are determined by review of the medical evidence - typically a medical expert’s report on the injuries suffered needs to be obtained.  The amount of compensation depends on how the injuries affect you now and whether you will suffer complications in the future.
  2. Special damages – these are designed to compensate you for out-of-pocket expenses such as travel, prescriptions, and any rehabilitation you may need.  Special damages are designed to put you back in the position you would have been had your injury not been received.

In most cases, personal injury claims, even complex ones, are settled outside of court.  However, if is required to secure compensation, we will represent and advise you through the entire process.

How long does it take to get compensation from the council for a slip, trip or fall?

If your injuries are minor, your claim may be settled in under 12 months.  If you have suffered catastrophic injuries, such as brain damage or paralysis, the complexity of obtaining medical evidence and claiming for life-long care may mean the claim will take several years to conclude.

No matter how long the process, our personal injury solicitors will provide guidance, compassion, and support.

To find out more about how we can advise you on claiming compensation for a slip, trip, or fall, please call us on 0333 444 4422 to talk to one of our solicitors

  • Kay Ditcham
      • 01429 405174
      • View profile
  • Mark Ellis
      • 01429 405117
      • View profile
  • John Hall
      • 01429 405115
      • View profile
  • Nathalie Clayton
      • 01429 405122
      • View profile
  • Adrienne Harris
      • 01429 405121
      • View profile