Joined in: 2005
Specialises in: Commercial Litigation, Employment Law and Contentious Trusts and Probate
Qualification: BA (Hons) Law & Management Science, LPC
Education: Keele University, York College of Law (now University of Law)
Alison joined Tilly Bailey & Irvine in 2005 to head up and develop the Commercial Litigation and Employment teams.
She trained at a commercial firm in Leeds before moving to a leading Newcastle based commercial firm in 1999. Alison gained experience in a wide range of commercial disputes including cases involving the FA, premiership clubs and the Court of Arbitration for Sport and European funding distributed by government departments which involved Alison attending at the Houses of Parliament to make representations to MP’s and ministers on behalf of her clients.
Since joining Tilly Bailey & Irvine, Alison has led the team to develop it into one of the largest and most experienced in the north east of England.
Alison consistently handles complex, high value litigation. She led the team to a successful conclusion on behalf of 77 homeowners in the reported case of Harrison & Others v Shepherd Homes Limited & Others which was a claim arising from defective foundations in new build properties. This concluded successfully at the Court of Appeal resulting in multi million pounds in damages being awarded.
Other cases which Alison has handled include:
- a complex and multi million pound claim for breach of confidence and fiduciary duties, acting on behalf of the Defendants following an injunction and seizure of all commercial information.
- a Judicial Review against HMRC in respect of a VAT exemption given to local authorities for the collection of commercial waste.
- a complex and high value contractual dispute relating to the design and implementation of a bespoke software system
- a claim in respect of anti competitive practices and abuse of State Aid regulations on the part of a local authority in which Court proceedings have been issued, and a complaint raised with the EC
- shareholder and partnership disputes, often involving family owned and run businesses
- professional negligence claims against surveyors, accountants and solicitors
- contentious probate claims including disputing wills as a result of lack of capacity, undue influence and claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975
Alison was awarded the Lawyer of the Year Award at the Northern Law Awards in 2015 and was subsequently invited to act as a Judge in the awards. Her team also won the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team of the Year award.
Outside of work, Alison favourite pastimes are skiing and golf and she is delighted to be Lady Captain for 2020 at Romanby Golf Club. She also enjoys spending time walking her five dogs in the North Yorkshire countryside.