LLB (Hons) University of Teesside 1999
Legal Practice Course University of Central Lancashire 2005
Year Of Admission:
Experience and Expertise:
Having commenced work as an employment law consultant for a national company in 2001, I have acted for organisations of all sizes and across all sectors; from small owner-managed businesses through to large PLCs, local authorities, NHS trusts, education establishments and charities
I have a wide range of experience in all employment law and HR issues, including:
- Advising on employment aspect of restructures and TUPE transfers in organisations including, academy conversions;
- Preparing contractual documentation from director level to shop floor, as well as giving specific HR advice and advising generally on strategy helping organisations safely part company with employees where necessary;
- Delivering fast, 'hands on' advice across the full range of HR and employment law issues with a heavy focus on commercial practicality (meaning I can forsee business impact.)
- Advising senior executives in relation to their departures from their employer.
- Playing an active role in the Tees Valley business community, in developing the profile of the firm locally.
Defending a six week race discrimination claim where over £1.5 million was sought in damages.
Persuading Claimants to withdraw damaging harassment cases before a public employment tribunal hearing.
Defending a high value whistle blowing claim and securing a withdrawal before hearing.
As a regular speaker on employment matters throughout the North East I have presented to a broad audience including the Tees Valley Business Summit, NEPIC, North and South Tees Security Groups and in-house, also delivering a wide range of seminars including those held by recruitment agencies, accountants and universities.
I also undertake guest lecturing to CIPD students at Darlington College and deliver in-house training to clients. I have also delivered content to local schools in respect of communication skills.
I have produced newsletters, employment law updates and guest blogged having been requested to contribute. I have also appeared on Radio Tees as an expert in respect of employment law issues.
Corporate Social Responsibility/Pro Bono/Community Relations:
I was a trustee of the Great North Air Ambulance, serving on their board for 6 years.
I initiated contact with ESH to assist in the delivery of their 'Building My Skills' programme. The firm is now in its third year of involvement and I deliver this across the region in local schools.
Employment Lawyers Association
When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A lawyer. I was between that and being a doctor, and given my squeamishness, law seemed the only choice
Why law as a career?
I am passionate about problem-solving and finding solutions to difficult situations. I also enjoy working with people and building relationships with clients.
Describe an interesting fact about yourself
I can make an incredible sausage plait!
What one thing could you not live without?
My family-I guess that’s more than one thing, but I’m not going to pick and choose as that will definitely cause arguments.
If not, then my husband would say my phone.
Hobbies and interests
Running, holidays, cooking.